From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:52:17 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:17:20 -0500

> From: Klaus Graf <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 23:45:18 +0200
>
> Mr Thatcher is repeating his well known arguments against CC-BY,
> of low value.
>
> A bad translation is better than no translation. How many scholars are
> able to get their works translated? Good translations aren't cheap. If
> CC-BY helps that translations were made then this is an advantage.

I believe that there are many scholars in the humanities and social
sciences who would disagree with you on this point, Klaus. Translation
licenses provided by publishers usually provide for the author's right
to check a translation for quality and accuracy.

> I never heard of problems with anthologies in which CC-BY articles are
> integrated.

How much have you worked with scholars in controversial fields like
political theory, feminist studies, Middle East studies, etc.?
Republication in an anthology edited by someone whom an author might
despise  and who is placing the article in a context that is anathema
to the author for whatever reason is not so rare an occurrence as you
might imagine. That's why, under many publishing contracts, authors
are given a veto right over such republication.

Sandy Thatcher