From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:36:45 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 07:45:12 +0100

1. The Green/Gold Open Access (OA) distinction concerns whether it is
the author or the publisher that provides the OA.

2. This distinction was important to mark with clear terms because the
conflation of the two roads to OA has practical implications and has
been holding up OA progress for a decade and a half.

3. The distinction between paid Gold and free Gold is very far from
being a straightforward one.

4. Free Gold can be free (to the author) because the expenses of the
Gold journal are covered by subscriptions, subsidies or volunteerism.

5. The funds for Paid Gold can come from the author's pocket, the
author's research grant, the author's institution or the author's
funder.

6. It would be both absurd and gratuitously confusing to mark each of
these economic-model differences with a color-code.

7. Superfluous extra colors would also obscure the role that the
colour-code was invented to perform: distinguishing author-side OA
provision from publisher-side OA provision.

8. So, please, let's not have "diamond," "platinum" and "titanium" OA,
despite the metallurgical temptations.

9. They amplify noise instead of pinpointing the signal, just as
SHERPA/Romeo's parti-colored Blue/Yellow/Green spectrum (mercifully
ignored by almost everyone) does.

10. OA is about providing Open Access to peer-reviewed journal
articles, not about cost-recovery models for OA publishing (Gold OA).

11. The Gold that publishers are fighting for and that researcher
funders are subsidizing (whether "pure" or "hybrid") is paid Gold, not
free Gold.

12. No one knows whether or how free Gold will be sustainable, any
more than they know whether or how long subscription publishing can
co-exist viably with mandatory Green OA.

13. So please leave the economic ideology and speculation out of the
pragmatics of OA policy making by the research community (institutions
and funders).

14. Cost-recovery models are the province of publishers (Gold OA).

15. What the research community needs to do is mandate OA provision.

16. The only OA provision that is entirely in the research community's
hands is Green OA.

And, before you ask, please let's not play into the publishers' hands
by colour-coding OA also in terms of the length of the publisher
embargo: 3-month OA, 6-month OA, 12-month-OA, 24-month-OA, millennial
OA: OA means immediate online access. Anything else is delayed access.
(The only quasi-exception is the "Almost-OA" provided by the author
via the institutional repository's email-eprint-request Button when
complying with publisher embargoes -- but that too is clearly not OA,
which is immediate, free online access.)

And on no account should the genuine, substantive distinction between
Gratis OA (free online access) and Libre OA (free online access plus
various re-use rights) be color-coded (with a different shade for
every variety of CC license)!