From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 20:35:37 -0400
From: William Gunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:06:20 -0700

> It's the old story that we still have, after all this time, precious little
> practical knowledge of what those parties actually do with what we
> provide them -- print _or_ electronic -- and, more in particular, of
> _how_ they do it. Without that knowledge, our own deliberations
> and pronouncements, however eloquent, will never mean a whole
> lot, at any rate outside of our own circles.
>
> - Laval Hunsucker
>   Breukelen, Nederland

Laval, speaking as a scientist who does lurk here a bit, I think
that's changing. I think there's getting to be quite a wealth of
information available from scientists as the in-person social networks
get created and realized in the form of online connections. My
company, Mendeley, is in a unique position to collect exactly this
sort of data and we're quite busily engaged in doing so, so my
question to you (not to derail the thread) is what sorts of
information about content use and methods of engagement you think
would be most useful to know about to inform your own decisions.

William Gunn
+1 646 755 9862
http://synthesis.williamgunn.org/about/