From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:11:15 -0500
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 19:44:28 +0000

This just in: Edwin Mellen Press has publicly announced its intention
to "discontinue" the two lawsuits it filed against Dale Askey and
McMaster University:

http://bit.ly/YQm4uV

A few quick observations:

1. The difference between "discontinue" and "drop" may be worth noting.

2. The tone and content of EMP's announcement offer an interesting
window into the company's attitude towards the community it purports
to serve.

3. EMP's announcement makes repeated reference to a "social media
campaign" on behalf of Askey and against EMP. However, as a commenter
noted (and I documented) following a posting I made on this topic at
the Scholarly Kitchen, if there was an orchestrated "social media
campaign" during this event, it appears to have been conducted on
behalf of EMP — someone commenting under the name "Thomas Anthony
Kelly" posted the identical comment in support of EMP to hundreds of
blogs and web pages. When this fact was exposed publicly, the comments
began disappearing.

---
Rick Anderson
Interim Dean, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah