From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2014 20:05:56 -0400
From: John Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM

We are pleased to share this announcement with you, and hope you will
help spread the news via your channels.  The PDF version of this
announcement can be found online at:

http://bit.ly/1CpXSF3

and via our website.

Please let me know any questions.  Our thanks in advance for your assistance.

John Burger, Executive Director
   ASERL
   c/o Georgia State University Library - Administration Suite LS7
   100 Decatur Street SE
   Atlanta, GA 30303-3202
   Telephone:  404-413-2896
  _   _   _   _   _   _   _

September 3, 2014
Contact:  John Burger, [log in to unmask]  / 404-413-2896

ASERL Awards Mini-Grant to Mississippi State University Libraries
Program will Create Updated Tools for Applying Fair Use to Resource Sharing

ATLANTA, September 3, 2014 -- The Association of Southeastern Research
Libraries (ASERL) has awarded its first-ever mini-grant to Mississippi
State University Libraries in support of its proposal, "Applying Fair
Use Principles within Resource Sharing Contexts."  The award will
support a 9-month series of activities MSU Libraries will undertake to
advance knowledge in this often-misunderstood area of library
practice.

Beginning October 1, Mississippi State University Libraries will
undertake a series of activities involving leaders from their
institution and beyond to examine how Fair Use principles can be
properly applied as part of a library's Resource Sharing operations.

Many libraries rely on "CONTU Guidelines" which were drafted by
Congress in 1974. The libraries at Mississippi State will use the
ASERL mini-grant to provide needed tools and assistance to individuals
seeking information about Fair Use, particularly for library users
requesting materials from an unaffiliated library.  These materials
will also reaffirm the principles of Fair Use of copyrighted materials
as a byproduct.  The new content will be made available via a
dedicated webpage and online tutorial that will be accessible to any
librarian or library user starting in Summer 2015.

Frances Coleman, Dean of Libraries for Mississippi State University,
added, "MSU Libraries have long embraced new technologies, often
serving on the vanguard within our institution.  We are extremely
pleased to partner with ASERL to ensure libraries are making good and
proper use of Fair Use principles when we borrow and lend materials."

"ASERL has been working to advance new initiatives and new forms of
scholarly communication for a few years," commented Thomas McNally,
Dean of Libraries at the University of South Carolina and ASERL's
Board President.  "We sponsored a year-long appointment of a Visiting
Program Officer to study these issues, and during that process we
identified a need to study this particular issue at a deeper level.
With this mini-grant, ASERL is providing monetary support to advance
this issue."

"The 'N' and 'T' in 'CONTU' stand for "new technology" -- new, in
1974," commented ASERL's Executive Director, John Burger.  "Given more
recent court cases and the deployment of ever-evolving technologies in
libraries, ASERL felt it was worthwhile to support a thorough review
of these matters."  A 2013 ASERL study found very few libraries
include guidelines for the application of Fair Use principles as part
of their resource sharing policies.

About ASERL

Founded in 1956, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries is
the largest regional research library cooperative in the country, with
38 members in 11 states. ASERL operates numerous projects designed to
foster a high standard of library excellence through
inter-institutional resource sharing and other collaborative efforts.
By working together, ASERL members provide and maintain top quality
resources and services for the students, faculty, and citizens of
their respective communities. More information about ASERL can be
found at www.aserl.org.

About MSU Libraries

Mississippi State University Libraries is a premier research library
providing its communities of users an ongoing, creative,
technologically advanced library program that promotes new and
emerging technologies while enhancing and inspiring teaching,
research, and service of the highest caliber in an environment of free
and open inquiry and with a commitment to excellence. For more
information about MSU Libraries, please visit
http://library.msstate.edu/.

# # #