From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:20:26 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:08:35 -0700

I recommend that this thread make some distinctions about different
uses of copyrighted material, as the word "piracy" can be a blunt
instrument.

I personally only use the term "piracy" when someone uses copyrighted
material without permission and then attempts to monetize this in some
way.  An example of this would be local coursepack companies.  There
probably is a lot less "piracy" of this kind than many would suppose.

I use the term "unauthorized use" instead of "piracy" when there is no
direct monetization.  A professor who takes a copy of a paper he or
she has written that was published by a traditional publisher and puts
that paper on a personal Web site may indeed be an unauthorized user.
Obviously, this varies with publishers' policies and how one construes
the privileges under fair use.

There is a third undefined category where the monetization, if any, is
indirect.  Google's mass digitization project is an example here.
Google was not planning to sell the copied texts, but it benefits from
those texts in it data-mining initiatives.  Of course, here again fair
use may plan a role.  Leave that one to the judges.

Most of the time when people talk about piracy, they really mean (in
my terms) unauthorized use.  I am not making a case for unauthorized
use, but there are differences here that should be acknowledged.

Joe Esposito