From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:43:52 -0500
From: Frederick Friend <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:03:58 +0000

I echo Nathan Hosburgh's note of caution about this move by Sage. As
well as the points Nathan makes, we must remember that publishers are
competing for market share, especially at a time of change in the
market. To me the $99 offer reads like a traditional loss-leader to
make an early grab for authors and establish Sage Open's position in
this market. Obviously we would all like to see competition in the
level of APCs but I shall be very surprised if $99 sets a standard or
is maintained for more than a year or so.

Fred Friend
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
http://www.friendofopenaccess.org.uk

-----Original Message----- From: Hosburgh, Nathan
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 1:02
Subject: RE: Sage Open price now $99

Regarding the comparison with PLOS:

- PLOS charges an author fee of $1,350
- they offer partial/full fee waivers in certain circumstances
- they are a non-profit and their main revenue source is from publication fees

http://blogs.plos.org/everyone/authors/

Sage is a for-profit publisher and I imagine their main revenue source
is subscriptions.  Sage Open is one OA journal from a publisher of
many non-OA journals.  Sage publishes more than 700 journals spanning
the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Science, Technology, and
Medicine.  Only a few of these journal titles appear to be full Gold
OA.  Sage offers 'Sage Choice', an OA option for authors who wish to
make their research articles freely available upon publication - this
appears to be available for any Sage journal.

"For the majority of journals published by SAGE the fee per article is
$3,000USD/£1600GPB in Science, Technology and Medical fields, and
$1,500/£800 in the Humanities and Social Sciences."
http://www.uk.sagepub.com/sagechoice.sp

So, it seems Sage is extending this one OA journal with very
reasonable publishing fees as a sign of goodwill/PR tool.  The $3,000
article fee would probably be a better comparison with the $1,350
charged by PLOS since they publish STM material.

Regardless, this is interesting news - thanks for posting.

Nate

Nathan Hosburgh
Electronic Resources Librarian
Assistant Professor