From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2018 18:53:36 -0500
From: SANFORD G THATCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 00:27:13 -0500

Surely the model that best fulfills the ideal of immediate, full, unrestricted
access is the endowment model that us used, for example, by the Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy. This model can be used for any type of publication
in any field, and it has none of the limitations of Gold and Green and
Freemium.  Of course, the practical question is where does the money come from
to establish the endowment in the first place?  Universities have become
experts in the fund-raising that goes into building endowments, so they know
how to do it. Instead of endowing a coaching position at a university, why not
encourage an alumnus to endow a journal or a monograph series? At Penn State we
actually had an editor of one of our journals include an endowment for the
journal in his will. There are many ways this can be done.  It is the model I
have long argued is the best for OA overall.

Sandy Thatcher