From:
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2015 16:32:20 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 19:58:31 +0000

Dear Rick,

It depends what you mean by operating at a loss I am afraid.

It is a problem that impacts on all publishers not just not for
profits. You can for example argue that a journal that is well thought
of in the discipline but is in a small sub discipline will never make
a real profit/surplus if one allocates overheads ruthlessly but if it
is part of an important programme and needs nothing or little in the
way of specific marketing let it continue.

My impression is that even commercial publishers change their views on
what to do with such journals from time to time and are sometimes
tougher than at other times. Some learned societies do terminate
journals. Some commercial publishers try an open access model. There
are all sort of permutations.

I would also suggest that most journals lists are carried by a few
highly profitable journals while the rest contribute little. This is
true for commercial and for not-for-profits. I have headed up journals
in both categories.

Anthony