From:
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2012 07:08:22 -0400
From: Mark Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:35:05 -0400

Hi David,

On Oct 10, 2012, at 3:12 PM, you wrote:

> This is obviously a very generous gesture on behalf of the APS.
>
> A much wider range of papers by Professor Haroche and Wineland are
> also available, permanently open access, through arXiv.

Some of the most significant work cited in the prize predates arXiv,
but you are, of course, correct. APS has been a strong supporter of
arXiv and was the first publisher to amend our copyright transfer
agreement to explicitly permit Green OA (either on author web sites or
in repositories) for all articles published in our journals (1997). We
continue to evolve our agreement with more recent changes including
generous rights related to derivative works. Any expansion of authors'
rights under our transfer agreement apply retroactively to all
articles published, not just future articles.. Finally, all of our
journals allow authors to choose to publish under a CC-BY license
(usually for a fee) if that is their preference. So we are quite happy
to have this work widely available in all of its different guises.

Best,
Mark Doyle