From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 17:13:01 -0500
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 22:47:02 -0500

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:39 PM,  Ann Shumelda Okerson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> "...researchers [have] been forced into a system of workarounds to try to get access to the articles that they need to do their research."
>
> So, when a scientist/scholar could go to an eprints site...

And publisher embargoes, and tergiversation, and intimidation?

> or library doc delivery/ILL services, or ask colleagues for copies...

In the instant click-through era, research and researchers should
still be forced to wait days for each click?

>  Do we as librarians really believe that large-scale copyright
> infringement is a good thing, that it's right, and a means to a better
> future?

Sci-hub is neither a library nor in a library. It is not a librarian
matter. And the "better future" has been embargoed quite long enough.

What it would be helpful if librarians did -- they have not done so
yet in any number -- is to see to it that the Copy-Request Button
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/268511/> is implemented in their
institutional eprint repository. That would reduce the wait for a
click from days to only hours or even minutes (and would moot or
temper the need for "large-scale copyright infringement...")

Stevan Harnad