From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:13:16 -0400
From: Kristina Deshazo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:33:30 -0700

Forgive me if this has been discussed on this list.  I was unable to
locate any reference in the archive.

We are in the process of reviewing license language for ILL and notice
that there are two distinct “Non-Commercial” use notations.

One that says “No Commercial Libraries”, and the other that stats
something along the lines of “The Licensee may supply to an Authorized
User of another library by post or fax or by secure electronic
transmission, provided the electronic file is deleted immediately
after printing, for the purposes of research or private study and not
for Commercial Use….”

We are a medical university library and are mainly concerned whether
publishers consider hospital or clinic libraries to be "commercial" or
not.  When providing ILL do you determine the borrower status as
for-profit or non-profit?  Or have you used any specific license
language to cover this such as the right to use LoansomeDoc.

We have recently had one publisher state they consider Hospitals and
Clinics to be “commercial” and therefore no, it is not permissible to
provide articles via ILL to Hospital and Clinic libraries.

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you can provide!

Kristi

Kristina M. DeShazo, MLS
Assistant Professor | Acquisitions & E-Resources Librarian
Oregon Health & Science University | Portland, Oregon
[log in to unmask] | 503-494-1637