From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:06:50 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 14:17:16 -0500

My question was NOT meant as a challenge to Mr. Gupta's integrity but
as a question to determine on what basis Mr. Gupta was basing his
observations.

I would make two points:

1) Since the AAUP Operating Statistics do not cover journals, I am not
sure why he would have consulted them and what his understanding of
them could have been--unless he also has had experience working in a
book division. (At Chicago, anyway, those two divisions work quite
independently of each other, as far as I'm aware.)

2) Since "faculty influence" would likely be exercised quite
differently in journal than in book publishing, it would be risky to
extrapolate from experience in one to the other.

Sandy Thatcher