From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:58:34 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:04:48 +0000

One thing that should be clear is that whatever negotiating leverage
there is that could change this situation, it resides with the
publishers.  Obviously individual readers cannot negotiate the terms
or conditions of their e-book experience, but publishers could, when
they contract to provide content to different platforms.  That
publishers have influence here is shown by the recent court ruling
that several major publishers conspired to raise e-book prices.  But
that influence has so far done nothing to mitigate this nonsense with
DRM.

So even if it is true that publishers haven't done anything wrong,
they clearly have not done anything to mitigate this wrong.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries
P.O. Box 90193