From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:42:27 -0500
From: Tony Sanfilippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 21:04:57 -0500

This issue fascinates me because it touches on the intersection of
librarianship and bookselling. In bookselling what you're talking
about has a name. It's called merchandising. That refers to the
display of new products in a way that brings attention to them. In
bookselling it can be controversial because there are monetary rewards
available for merchandising in the form of a practice called co-op,
where a publisher pays a bookseller to augment the cost of advertising
in local media with the bookseller, or the publisher pays for
prominent placement in the bookseller's store, or on the bookseller's
website (yes, that website).

What fascinates me about this issue is the reluctance of librarians to
take on an editorial role. In the case of the bookseller, they can
choose whether the promotion of a title is ultimately in the best
interest of the store and if they're willing to make the Faustian
bargain behind a co-op agreement because they ultimately feel that
what they're promoting is in sync with what the store is saying about
its stock.This economic dilemma, taking money from the supplier, isn't
an issue for the librarian.

For librarians, it's an entirely different matter and the ethics of
librarianship seem to frown on the kind of editorial and marketing
decisions that bring attention to its collections' foci. Librarians
seem to value objective discovery over their own informed
recommendations.

While this might seem like a leap, I think that ethos (which I find
librarians also bring to their publishing efforts,) doesn't serve them
well. They have long been wise and trusted gatekeepers. Why is it when
the rubber hits the road they take a step back and defer to the patron
and insist the patron is best served by offering a largely unedited
variety of choices rather than also offering an opinion on the quality
of the options? That is what a good bookseller is doing when he
merchandises. Why is that so antithetical to the mission of the
library? Isn't the inability to discern what's worth paying attention
to how we got where we are today? Shouldn't those of us who can
discern the difference between the wheat and the chaff being doing
more to promote the wheat?

Best,
Tony

Tony Sanfilippo, Director