From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:02:24 -0500
From: Robin Bradford <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:21:00 -0500

Addressing only Alex's question about the "eternity" lending model vs.
"finite number of checkouts" model:

If you're talking about the Harpercollins model where you have 26
checkouts before the license expires and you have to buy another copy,
here is a fact that no one ever talks about: that model is STILL one
copy/one user.  So it is exactly like the "eternity" model, except only
for 26 uses!   For instance:

Divergent by Veronica Roth.

Our library has "licensed" 208 Checkouts.
79 of those checkouts have been used, we have 129 remaining.
We have 96 people on the hold list.   Well, why should we have a hold
list if we have more checkouts available than people waiting?
Because 208 "checkouts" REALLY only equals 8 copies.  (8 x 26)

I hate having people wait for books in a digital collection, which many
people see more as an "on demand" collection.  To satisfy the hold list,
I'd have to buy over 2400 uses!

SO, there really is NO functional difference between these two models.
It's just that, at the end of the 26 uses, you have to buy more
copies/uses.  As for which model is better, I'm going with neither.

**back to lurkdom**

Robin Bradford
Collection Development Librarian
The Indianapolis Public Library