From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:30:04 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 00:03:20 -0500

I can't help noting the irony that the US Supreme Court's decision in
the Kirtsaeng case contributed to the rising of textbook prices in
India, which then decides that because of high prices educational
copying should be free of license fees, perhaps even for whole books
(an issue the court left undecided).   The court's logic would seem to
imply that wherever prices are high, fees for use should be waived.  I
wonder if this applies to the technology used to do the copying, or
for things like software that students use? Perhaps students should be
exempt from paying for the actual copying, or for licensing software
for their computers?

Sandy Thatcher