From:
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2016 22:01:38 -0400
From: "Seeley, Mark (ELS-CMA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 22:51:19 +0000

Access Copyright (the Canadian RRO) commissioned a study by PWC in
2015 of the results, and have a short press release here
http://www.accesscopyright.ca/media/94998/pwc_intropage_final.pdf

The full report from PWC can be found at the International Authors
Forum page at this link

http://internationalauthors.org/pwc-reports-harm-of-copyright-exception

In addition to license revenues to publishers and authors declining
precipitously, also reports of book distributors and local publishing
operations in Canada shut down as a result.

Best,

Mark

Mark Seeley, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
Elsevier
(: Direct: +1 (781) 663-2241; Mobile: +1 (781) 354-4429

Internal Elsevier Legal department intranet site:
http://nonsolus/legaldepartment/
External information at http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/homepage.cws_home

From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:30:48 -0400

I was interested to see this short article:

Canadian Copyright Modernization Act: Chronicle of a Disaster Foretold

http://publishingperspectives.com/2016/10/canadian-copyright-modernization-act-chronicle-disaster-foretold/#.WAhzuph97gE

It goes like this:  "November 7, 2017, will mark the fifth anniversary
since the Copyright Modernization Act came into force in Canada. But
the act has brought enormous disruption to the book economy, which is
based largely on the intangible capital that is copyright. For many
Canadian authors, creators, and publishers, this act has been nothing
short of a disaster."

Any folks on the list who can comment or have a perspective on the
above statement?  It certainly caught my attention.

Thank you, Ann Okerson