From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:00:04 -0400
From: "Taylor, Liane R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:24:57 +0000

All -

Thanks so much for this interesting discussion. Kevin, this research
is illuminating, especially given the vendor's reasoning, which is
that sovereign immunity allows us to "disregard" the terms of the
agreement. They argue that waiving sovereign immunity is normal when
entering into "private, commercial transactions", and if this weren't
in place, then  "no one would contract with a state institution since
none of the contractual protections would be enforceable." They have
agreed to strike the Waiver of Sovereign Immunity clause, but replace
it with, “This Agreement represents is a private, commercial
transaction entered into between Licensor and Licensee.” We were not
comfortable with this either, and have handed over to our GC, who has,
as expected, stricken this clause, stating that we are a public
entity. They are still in discussion.

I should point out that we learned this is a new license (as of August
2014) and a new GC for the vendor. We are likely one of the first to
negotiate it.

This is a very interesting development in licensing, and I'll be sure
to keep you all apprised.

I'd also like to point out that I received many direct responses, and
most basically said:

1) Never seen this before (one saw it once)
2) Say No
3) Walk Away
4) If you want to negotiate further, give it to your GC

Thanks for all of the responses.

-Liane

Liane Taylor
Interim Head Acquisitions Librarian