From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2015 21:58:35 -0400
From: Robert Glushko <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 01:29:08 +0000

David seems to disagree with me, although I'm not certain I disagree
with him.  Libraries, publishers, academics, can very much have
clashing priorities, and we will not, and I daresay should not, agree
on everything. But we still have much more in common with one another
than we do with large swaths of society and industry.

I very much agree with, and am a proponent of the idea that we need to
have an open dialogue between all interested parties with a mutual
willingness to hear one another out.  If we descend into the
librarians are thieves vs. publishers are rent seekers discord then we
are missing an opportunity to better the system.  It's not a zero sum
game, even if it is a competitive one.

________________________________

From: Richard Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 08:14:30 -0400

I tend to agree with David, and I know we have our fundamental
differences. But I take issue with the claim, "it is just the way the
system works," which suggests that we--librarians, publishers,
vendors, researchers--are simply passive bystanders to events beyond
our control. In fact we and our forebears built this "system," didn't
we? And isn't that the purpose of forums such as LibLicense? To talk
to each other and improve the system, as hard as that may be? Or am I
hopelessly naive?

Richard Brown

Richard Brown, PhD
Director