From:
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:38:59 -0400
From: Carol Anne Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:54:39 -0400

Hi Joe,

I’m not sure what your use case is, but it is possible to assign
CrossRef DOIs at any level of granularity, so you could indeed use
them for paragraphs. A number of publishers assign CrossRef DOIs to
figures, tables, and other “components”. So far, our component DOIs do
not have quite as robust metadata and so they do not aid in
discoverability as much, but we can always augment the schema if there
is a need to do so. DOIs will of course provide persistent URLs for
these smaller units.

Best,
Carol

Carol Anne Meyer