From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2018 08:32:35 -0500
From: Sean Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 21:33:12 -0600

Well Spotify and Pandora work pretty friction-free, especially if you
pay their relatively tiny subscription fee. It is not a technology or
business model problem. It is about political will and the protection
of an oligopoly of middlemen who enjoy a dedicated flow of funds from
libraries still committed to their mission in wildly changed
circumstances.

For all the ire directed at Elbakyan, she is only the latest in a long
series of compromised pirates. And it appears the only thing that will
make it possible to offer the kind of frictionless access you are
describing is the threat that pirates will take it all otherwise. It's
not for nothing that one of Napster's founders sits in the board at
Spotify and helped broker the deals with Warner and UMG. A few more
big fish will get caught, a few more novel technologies and platforms
will be developed and then maybe Publishers will be willing to play
ball. Maybe Elsevier's purchases of SSRN and Mendelay are a signal
it's thinking in that direction. Then again, the fly in that ointment
is that the consumers of the legal version of this knowledge (i.e.
library patrons) are not paying the bills. So it might take a bit
longer.