From:
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 19:44:20 -0400
From: Jim O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 22:47:45 +0300

A few weeks ago, I passed on the note about Wolters-Kluwer "selling" a
casebook for property law courses where the student got a "permanent"
copy of the e-version and a paper version that had to be returned at
the end of the semester.  Novel model, and I wondered if it betokened
the beginning of treating the e-version as the default permanent
version of texts.  -- Well, the profs whose courses were affected were
teaching property law, so they got huffy, and W-K has now offered a
second deal:  either this bundle, *or* the ability to purchase only a
paper copy that you do get to keep.  Some placation seems to have
happened, though I would have expected perhaps paper-plus-electronic
with right to retain, just for a modestly higher price, but that seems
not on offer:

http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2014/05/academic-libraries/law-profs-revolt-after-aspen-casebook-tries-to-get-around-first-sale-doctrine/#_

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown