From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:30:39 -0500
From: "Matheson, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 19:33:59 +0000

This is provocative - and when I think about how I teach or do a
reference transaction, I absolutely share my value judgements about
sources with patrons. Why are we reluctant to "put out fingers on the
scale" of discovery or catalog results? Never mind biases, I believe
there are enough of us who think our collections are curated carefully
enough that everything is "good." If it wasn't worth having, we
wouldn't have selected it in the first place.

But perhaps this warrants rethinking in the age of DDA, approval
plans, big deals, and easy access to Worldcat where the library's
"walled garden" is less expertly tended and indeed less walled. Put
another way, perhaps librarians have unwittingly handed over these
decisions to publishers/distributors on the "back end," in which case
we should be more willing to communicate our judgements to our patrons
on the "front end."

Back to my title-by-title firm ordering....
Scott
Scott Matheson, Associate Librarian for Technical Services
Lillian Goldman Law Library, Yale Law School
203-432-1603 | Box 208326, New Haven, CT 06520-8326