From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:14:41 -0400
From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:10:50 -0400

Agree with Jean-Claude but for a different reason.  Early in the last
decade, I was part of a librarian focus group invited to London to
meet with Tracz to talk about about BioMed Central.  There may have
been 15-20 of us in the room, and a number were passionate open access
advocates.  When asked if he were pursuing this idea because of a
powerful conviction/passion for open access, Tracz said clearly that
he is a publisher and businessman, one who sees in open access a solid
business opportunity -- which would also help on the access side.
Many hearts fell and many spirits sagged, for indeed there had been an
expectation of meeting an open access "hero," but here instead was a
smart, strategic business innovator.

Ann Okerson/CRL