From:
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2012 19:51:13 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 08:40:48 +0100

I have already posted about this presentation by Willetts but what has
struck me forcibly on reading it again was this concern to make clear
that the dissemination of knowledge to the lay public, to industry and
to groups outside universities is not (to him) just a matter of OA but
should be a translation concern to publishers, librarians and
scholars. STM has been in the lead  in this area. Richard Gedye now
runs the STM outreach programme. See the STM site. I now want to
advertise to all those on this list who might be or could be in London
on June 28th and 29th the 6th Bloomsbury conference at University
College London. Information and registration can be found at
www.ucl.ac.UK/dis/conferences. The topic is SCHOLARLY OUTREACH,IMPACT
AND OUTCOMES. Two major initiatives will be an announced in June by
the Royal Society and Research Councils UK which I think will be of
international importance. They will be showcased at UCL. RIchard Gedye
is also on the list of speakers as will be representatives from the
British Library, Wiley, Elsevier, and BMJ as well as an eclectic range
of contributors from eScience and Digital Humanities to Sense about
Science and those working on public engagement including museums. My
experience is that there are a whole lot of people with not dissimilar
aims or interests working in a bewildering range of silos.

Anthony Watkinson

On 4 May 2012, at 00:21, LIBLICENSE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The International Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical
> Publishers (STM) welcomes David Willetts', the UK Minister of State for
> Universities and Science, support for publishing and sustainable open
> access.
>
> Writing this week in the Guardian on the UK Government's plans to make
> publicly funded research accessible to all, Willetts said "The challenge
> is how we get there without ruining the value added by academic
> publishers." He continued, "We still need to pay for such functions,
> which is why one attractive model - known as gold - has the funders of
> research covering the costs."
>
> On 4 February 2012, STM released its statement 'Publishers support
> sustainable open access'. It opens "Publishers are committed to the
> widest possible dissemination of and access to the content they publish.
> We support any and all sustainable models of access that ensure the
> integrity and permanence of the scholarly record." To date, 49 STM
> member and non-member publishers have signed the statement. The
> statement is available on the Association's website at:
> www.stm-assoc.org/publishers-support-sustainable-open-access/
> and is quoted below.
>
> Commenting at the STM annual spring conference this week, STM CEO
> Michael Mabe said, "We welcome Mr Willetts' balanced comments on
> sustainable open access. We are actively contributing to the Finch Group
> in the UK through our colleagues at the Publishers Association, and we
> look forward to hearing their findings."
>
> -ENDS -
>
> STM statement (4 February 2012)
> Publishers Support Sustainable Open Access
>
> Publishers are committed to the widest possible dissemination of and
> access to the content they publish. We support any and all sustainable
> models of access that ensure the integrity and permanence of the
> scholarly record. Such options include 'gold' open access, whereby
> publication is funded by an article publishing charge paid by the author
> or another sponsor, a subscription-based journal, or any one of a number
> of hybrid publishing options. Most publishers now offer open access
> options and publish open access journals, and work closely with funders,
> institutions and governments to facilitate these developments. Gold open
> access provides one approach toward our shared goal of expanding access
> to peer-reviewed scientific works and maximizing the value and reuse of
> the results of scientific research.
>
> We believe that authors should be able to publish in the journal of
> their choice, where publication will have the greatest potential to
> advance their field.   Institutions and funders have a key role to play
> in ensuring that public access policies allow for funding of peer
> reviewed publication and publishing services in whatever journal that an
> author chooses. Publishers look forward to working with all stakeholders
> to achieve this goal and to advance scholarly communication.

[SNIP]