From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 23:04:48 -0500
From: Alex Holzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 22:50:50 -0500

I realize it's always fun to have a bogey man in the room, but really,
life is a lot more complicated than evil publishers and virtuous
librarians.  Heck, you could say it's all the faculty's fault for
producing all that mediocre output and then striving like mad to
publish it all solely to further their individual careers.  Or it's
the administration's fault for insisting, even at the U. of
Mediocrity, that the faculty keep publishing more and more--mediocre
or swell, really doesn't matter--instead of basing promotion, tenure,
and salary on quality--which is a lot harder to define than quantity
and means more work for the poor administrator.  Or it's peer
reviewers for falsely praising mediocrity. (BTW, if so much being sold
is truly mediocre, why fight so hard to make it open access?  To
spread mediocrity yet further?  Or is there justice in making
mediocrity creators--authors--pay?)  Or it's librarians who for
reasons I'll never understand actually sign NDAs!  Why dear friends,
do you ever consent to those instruments?  And if publishers started
removing material from bundles whose price increase was capped at 5%,
why not sue?  Immediately and collectively.

All sorts of greed, manipulation, ignorance, apathy and any number of
vices have been operating throughout our scholarly ecosystem.  It is,
after all, a human activity.  What is surprising is that we haven't
found better mechanisms to keep things within the bounds of acceptable
inefficiencies and greed.  I say that with zero sense of cynicism;
well-run systems usually work because they minimize the downside of
what we humans do and privilege the upside--and out better angels turn
out to be able to create thos systems.  In real life there are
actually darn few pure villains or heroes.  But how cool that to one
degree or another all the constituencies in scholar world have become
so much more aware of the systemic problems and in many cases are
working together to privilege the good.  Even some publishers....

One last thing--it would be nice if folks would recognize that
university presses possess their very own set of incompetencies, but
that lust for filthy lucre really isn't among them.  The distinctions
between commercial and university publishers are many and not always
flattering to up's but that's a conversation for another day, though
I'd start with the simple fact that every university press is, well,
part of the university.  Just like the academic library!  Stereotyping
any group, including publishers, is at best lazy, at worst dangerous;
a shortcut to a desired, though too often inaccurate conclusion.

Go in peace, friends.

My two cents,

Alex Holzman
Director