From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 20:23:31 -0400
From: Danny Kingsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 00:08:31 +0000

Hi - following on from this thread:

"I Sold My Undergraduate Thesis to a Print Content Farm - A trip
through the shadowy, surreal world of an academic book mill"

By Joseph Stromberg

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/03/lap_lambert_academic_publishing_my_trip_to_a_print_content_farm.html

A couple of excerpts from a first-hand account of the Lambert experience.  Danny

*******

If you’re an academic (or were once an aspiring academic), you may
have once received an email just like the one I got at 6:10 on a sunny
morning last August.

“As stated by the Washington University in St. Louis’s electronic
repository, you authored the work entitled ‘Lands of the Lakota Policy
Culture and Land Use on the Pine Ridge Reservation’ in the framework
of your postgraduate degree,” Karen Holmes, an acquisition editor at
LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, told me. She added that she worked
for a “top international publishing group” and was interested in
publishing my work as a book.

I flipped through the softcover book, reading the words I’d written
four years ago, during my senior year of college, never thinking that
they’d be reproduced on cheap paper and owned by a multinational
publishing conglomerate. They looked exactly as they had in the
original PDF of my thesis, just shrunken down onto A4-size paper and
surrounded by page numbers and a title page printed in a different
font. My thesis had been transformed into a mass-produced commodity.

Then, as I paged through the book, I remembered something funny I’d
done when reformatting the text for submission. For kicks, I’d buried
an errant phrase deep in the middle, partly to see if LAP Lambert’s
editors ever actually read the thing. When I got to Page 86, I was
gratified to find that they hadn’t noticed it. Right there on the
middle of the page, amid talk of Oglala Lakota politics and tribal
sovereignty was my insertion.

“Is any proofreader actually reading this book before it gets
printed?” I’d asked. “Didn’t think so.”