From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2018 20:56:38 -0500
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:02:32 -0700

(1) This piece, from a website related to Vox, has clearly gotten more
of the story than any other I've seen before.  The depiction of
internecine and political quarrels that Elbakyan has engaged in the
former USSR is new and interesting.  I've been working with a mental
stereotype of today's "Russia" and assumed fairly simple complicity
among various forces.  She's tangled up in a more complicated game.

(2) Whatever our old friends arguing anarchism v. communism may think,
it's clear that Elbakyan's ideas about what she is doing are an
amateurish muddle.  If she were American, she'd be invoking Ayn Rand,
but for now she's settling for Robert K. Merton.

(3) What the article still does not address is the underside of her
practices.  Whatever you think about what she's doing, an organization
based where hers is based that *avows* that it is collecting logins
and passwords from scientists around the world raises questions of
information security and what's going on in the back room that I have
not seen addressed.  Do we imagine that her worthy communist minions
collect such credentials, use them exclusively to download articles,
articles taken exclusively from wicked capitalist publishers, and then
primly destroy the bootleg passwords?  My imagination doesn't stretch
that far.

(4) It *is* important to note, as others have, that what Sci-Hub is
doing does not fit any standard definition of 'open access'.  What
strikes me most is the extent to which the project absolutely depends
on the existence of traditional publishers and traditional business
models.  Their sole value proposition is that they get you bootleg
merchandise, functioning as a parasite on the capitalist system, not
as any meaningful adumbration of a different system.  Though for
users, the project offers valuable access right now, in systemic terms
it's a bomb-thrower project, not a creative innovation.

(5) Last thing:  the undoubted gap that Sci-Hub and LibGen fill is
supply for those to whom supply is problematic, notably in developing
nations.  I heard of them first years ago from history graduate
students in China, doing western history with libraries very poorly
suited to their needs, and the last colleague to exclaim on their
behalf is Argentinean, claiming that in Buenos Aires "nobody buys a
book any more".  Some of those problems, as those of Elbakyan's native
Kazakhstan, are not generated by capitalism or buccaneer publishers
but by purblind politicians and broken civil societies.  Kazakhstan's
oil-fed economy would do well to invest seriously in science --
including libraries -- but if they have not, it's not entirely
capitalism's fault.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU