From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 22:56:54 -0400
From: Jonathan Harwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:28:05 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

I thought you might be interested in sharing this call for papers with
other colleagues via e-mail or Facebook--  or even better, submitting
an abstract yourself!  I’m guest editing this issue of Against the
Grain; details below.

Thanks!

Jonathan

(please pardon any duplication—just trying to spread the word to
interested people)

Call for Papers:  Going out on a limb -- pushing the boundaries of DDA

We are inviting you to submit brief abstracts (1-2 paragraphs) prior
to July 5, 2012, for a special fall 2012 Charleston Conference issue
of Against the Grain on DDA/PDA (demand-driven/patron-driven
acquisition/access).

Following a year and a half after the last special issue on this
topic, it’s time to take a look at where we’ve landed, and what’s down
the road.

We are interested in a variety of perspectives.  Distributors,
publishers, vendors, consultants, library patrons, and library workers
from all types of libraries are encouraged to send your ideas to

We’re particularly interested in:

* what sorts of models could appear in the next generation (DDA of
articles, multimedia, etc., with access beyond library catalogs,
e-book platforms, & discovery services)

* radically redefining library selection, “collections,” and approval
plans with DDA

* DDA usage analysis by subject & cost

* to weed or not to weed DDA records (triggered or non-triggered)

* the current state and the future of short-term loans, manual DDA,
and extended access

* results of consortial DDA projects

* perspectives on, or plans for, DDA from small presses, scholarly
presses, journal publishers, database vendors, etc.

Jonathan H. Harwell
Head of Collections and Systems
Olin Library
Rollins College