From:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2014 05:02:17 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:15:28 +0100

> "If there is not some way for us to find
> reasonable middle ground solutions to the bigger problems of shrinking
> budgets; changes in collection practices; changing user expectations,
> behaviors, and demands; and new models of publication then perhaps it
> is time for us to throw our hands up, admit defeat, and run for
> congress."

Well there is, for journals anyway: Pay only for Usage.  The
essentials of the model are: we put all our content in a university
library, no subscription required.  Article downloads are charged at
just $5 each. A price cap is agreed so the library budget is
protected.

A lot of interesting data has come out of the pilot project we have
been running.  Striking is the finding that in some institutions,
never subscribed to content is much more heavily used than previously
subscribed to content, which could be interpreted as meaning some
subscription decisions were plain wrong.  Also interesting is that
institutions that had never subscribed to any of our journals are now,
through this model, making good  - sometimes quite significant - use
of them.

Through Pay only for Usage, the library is enriched, its patrons
benefit in an affordable way.  The subscription model made good sense
in the era of print. But we've moved beyond that, so why not charge at
the article-use level?  Apart from the practical benefits, the equity
argument, that you should only pay for what you have used, not
everything that comes in the wrapper whether you use it or not , seems
overwhelming to me.

So, before you admit defeat and run for Congress, think about talking
to publishers who can see what's wrong and actually want to do
something about it.

Bill Hughes
Multi-Science Publishing
www.multi-science.co.uk