From:
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2014 19:51:56 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 18:24:14 +0000

Dear David

Researchers in those areas of physics and mathematics that use ArXiv as a
place they almost invariably put their preprints still check out the journal
article for the VOR when they cite the content - or at least the ones I have
been interviewing recently said they did. I do not know how frequently the
preprint is replaced by the postprint or even by the VOR on ArXiv (I believe
there have been estimates), but I do know that the sort of big science
represented in some (but not all) of the sub-disciplines we are talking about
produces papers which are essentially refereed by the group before
submission. That being said mathematical physicists use ArXiv a lot
(normally) and they are not big science people, so one would assume distinct
differences between preprints and postprints/VOR. These people like computer
scientists but at least a postprint and sometimes the VOR on their own sites
as routine. So you see I do not understand what is really happening any more
than you do... but I am adding to the complexity.

Anthony