From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:44:25 -0500
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:27:39 -0700

Steve, thanks for this very helpful post.  You press me to think why I
think they would disappear if we subscribed to the e-version and
cataloged them all at the item level.

Yes, they would be there, and you could find them.  If you were
attached to the series as such, you could search on the series -- but
then get 500 hits.  If you were really attracted to the series and had
a topic in mind, you could try keywords to find a single topic but it
would often be inefficient.  So what would bring these to the
attention of real undergraduates in a way that gets usage we think is
worth what we pay for them?  I think this is an interesting
intellectual puzzle with wider range in the current library:  how to
make people aware of the invisible?

One thought we are exploring is to buy a print set (cheaper than a
year's subscription to the e-version with a reasonable number of
simultaneous users), shelve them together in a visible way that would
attract use, and then press the vendor for a by-the-drink price for
e-versions when requested.  Then we might get some real usage.  Or at
least that's the hypothesis.   (Two other small facts:  the e-versions
I've seen are as poor as, in my view, e-books generally are:  hard to
read on a laptop; and the Amazon Kindle price is $6, Amazon paper copy
price is $7.50, official list price is $11 or so.  I won't say what
we're hearing from the vendor in pricing out of respect for them, but
will just say that an ongoing e-subscription would add up over the
years to quite a bit more per-title.)

Continuing to meditate, and thanks for both on-list and private
messages about this.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU