From:
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 19:32:49 -0400
From: FrederickFriend <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:12:16 +0100

There are many "downsides" to the outsourcing of society journals to
the big commercial publishers, not least to the societies themselves
and their authors in preventing them from gaining the benefit of more
readers and citations of their publications through open access. It
seems as though many societies do not realise they can have a viable
business model for their journals in open access. There are good
examples of open access society journals for societies to look at and
consider for their own journals. In order to provide information to
societies about successful open access journals run by societies
Knowledge Exchange ran a workshop in collaboration with OASPA and
SPARC Europe in Tallinn in September 2011. The report on the workshop
containing key points on transition from subscription to open access
-plus some of the presentations from the successful OA society
journals - is at:

http://www.knowledge-exchange.info/Default.aspx?ID=431 .

Fred Friend
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL