From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 17:21:26 -0400
From: Mark L Clemente <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:04:06 +0000

Hi colleagues,

We are working on a license right now for GIS data (satellite imagery)
from DigitalGlobe and the license contains some difficult language
concerning 1) MIT’s full responsibility for all user actions; 2) MIT’s
indemnification of DigitalGlobe; and 3) DigitalGlobe’s ability to
perform on-site audits and to charge additional fees if MIT is not
complying with the license.  We are unable to modify the language and
we are currently weighing the issues.

Have any of you signed licenses with DigitalGlobe before, and if so,
how have you dealt with these clauses?  Our GIS librarian has
determined that they are essentially the only commercial vendor of
satellite imagery, so there aren’t really alternative sources.

Many thanks for your input!

Mark Clemente

Mark Clemente
Scholarly Communications and Licensing Librarian
MIT Libraries
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139