From:
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2012 18:37:38 -0400
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 08:30:05 +0400

Hi All

By "charge," I mean the charge to the customer, i.e. me.  I have to
pay to get this journal.  When I ask why it is so expensive, I get the
usual "value added" speech, and, of course, the prohibitive costs of
paper and printing and international postage fees.  So my response is:
"Well, don't send a paper copy, because I never read it.  Offer an
'opt-out' of hard-copy option, and, that way, you can reduce your
paper, printing and postage costs and reduce my subscription charges
by the same amount."

Yeah, right.  For the simple reason that the amount calculated as a
charge for paper, printing and postage is not merely cost, but
cost+profit, and when you remove that charge, you also remove that
profit.  But the answer will usually be along the lines of "things
don't work as simply as that," followed by a convoluted explanation
including phrases like 'internationally-accepted standards,'
'industry-specific procedures,' 'corporate accounting methods' etc.,
all of which translate into a simple statment of: "You want this
journal?  Then you accept our terms.  End of discussion."

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics