From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2015 21:05:14 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 12:07:36 +0000

Dear Alicia,

Thank you for the additional information.  The reason I think this is one
factor among several that make Elsevier's new policy more complex and
probably unworkable is that these differing embargo lists mean that
repository managers will need to determine the nationality of all authors
on any given paper and then consult the correct embargo list.  Since this
applies at the article level, U.S. repositories will undoubtedly need to
apply both lists in determining appropriate embargoes for any paper
authored by scholars from both countries.  It even raises the question of
who is a U.K. author; is it a U.K. citizen (regardless of where they
work), someone who lives in the U.K. (regardless of nationality or place
of employment), a person employed by a U.K. institution, or a researcher
who is funded by a U.K. body?

We also must agree to disagree, I think, about the continuing role of the
subscription model.  In my opinion, one of the most urgent tasks for
libraries is to find ways to transition their collection funds from
supporting the consumption of scholarship (through subscriptions) to
supporting its production (where the result will usually be some type of
open access).  Many libraries are working on this transition as I write.
Subscription business models were an appropriate response to the
limitations of print technology, but they are rapidly becoming unnecessary
and even counterproductive, since by their nature they disable the most
innovative features of the new environment for scholarship.  It seems
likely, to me, that subscriptions per se will have only a minor role in
library collecting in the future, and expensive subscription conglomerates
like Elsevier probably none.

Best regards,

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries