From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:02:10 -0500
From: Alex Holzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:13:45 -0500

Well, since Sandy asked, no, I haven't really noticed any change.
Always amazing how I can place some manuscripts with minimal effort
while others require up to a dozen contacts before it's placed with
the necessary two or three reviewers.  But I attribute that more to
random chance than the subject matter of individual mss. and overall,
nope, no real change in overall percentage of yes'es.

BTW, it's customary--at least for university presses--to pay an
honorarium for reading a book-length mss.  Reviewer decides whether to
be paid in cash or in books (the latter often twice as much in dollar
equivalents).  I wouldn't argue we pay a lot, but we don't ask our
readers to provide entirely free labor.

Alex Holzman
Director
Temple University Press