From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:59:09 -0400
From: Pippa Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:37:58 +0100

I appreciate the numbers don't stack up when considering a library
budget, but simply looking at the number of journals can give a false
impression of what the increasing subscriptions are actually buying.

There are three complications: the number of articles, the number of
accesses, and the archive access. The same journals published in 2000
and today are probably "larger" with greater frequency and total
number of articles published each year. Equally, where Harvard may
have subscribed to one print (or limited access) back in 2000
subscriptions now usually allow unlimited access within an
institution, over several campus sites, and off-site access to remote
researchers. Thirdly, many journals may now include access to
archives, often going back to volume 1.

I appreciate that this doesn't help the library budgets, but it often
provides greater "value" for the subscription price.

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.pspconsulting.org