From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:04:12 -0500
From: Shawn Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:20:27 -0500

*Please excuse cross posting*

JSTOR announces Alumni Access program, extending access to scholarship on JSTOR

JSTOR is pleased to announce a new Alumni Access program, which
enables participating higher education institutions to provide their
alumni with access to their JSTOR archive collections.  This is an
important next step in our ongoing efforts to extend access to
scholarship to individuals around the world, and we are delighted to
have the opportunity to partner with our more than 3,000 university
and college libraries in this effort.

The launch of the Alumni Access program follows a successful 3-year
pilot that was undertaken with nearly 50 institutions, including
public and private institutions, US and overseas universities, and
theological seminaries. This pilot helped JSTOR and our partner
libraries understand the implementation issues and to develop an
approach that we believe will be valuable and sustainable. The
feedback from both pilot institutions and their alumni has been
overwhelmingly positive.

“By far the most frequent question asked by Smith College alumnae is
‘How do I access the library’s databases from off-campus?’, commented
Pamela Skinner, head of collection development at Smith College
Libraries. “Before participating in the Alumni Access pilot, our
canned reply was ‘I’m sorry, but you can’t.’ Now we’re able to give a
very different answer, and the response from our alumnae has been
overwhelmingly enthusiastic.”

“Now THAT is kindness,” posted a Smith College alumna. “Many alums do
not have access to research libraries, and an Alumnae Association that
recognizes that info gap is really moving with the times.”

Participating in Alumni Access
While the Alumni Access Program will officially launch in January
2013, JSTOR will turn on access and waive the Annual Access Fee (AAF)
for the remainder of 2012. The Alumni Access participation fee is 10%
of the institution’s total AAF. The program is open to eligible higher
education institutions worldwide; please contact us for eligibility
requirements. Participating schools must support the bifurcation of
alumni usage from their main account.

To learn more about participating in the Alumni Access program, please
contact us today or visit our website.