From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:50:06 -0500
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:00:47 +0000

Clay Shirky once wrote that "Publishing used to be a process, now it
is a button."  So perhaps the analogy that Joe is looking for is with
that "publish" button found on so many websites.

Honestly, however, I think Shirky's reduction is as mistaken as
Esposito's over-aggrandizement.  The best way to evaluate the value
added by academic publishers is to ask the authors of the content
those publishers publish.  By the way, those authors are seldom very
happy with their publishers; they are often quite angry.  So if the
publishers' job is to keep authors happy, they are very bad at it.

Generally academic authors think publishers add value is two ways.
The first is in printing, marketing and distribution.  This, of
course, is the aspect of publishing that has become a button, and the
desperation that some publishers feel over the loss of this most
visible and prominent value they add is evidenced by Joe's ridiculous
hyperbole.

The second value that academic authors think they get from publishers
today is reputation, the journal "brand."  In essence, publishing has
become an intellectual property trade --  authors surrender their
copyrights in exchange for a trademark.  We have seen, however, in the
rising number of retractions, in the attention to predatory publishing
practices, and in the criticism leveled at the impact factor, that the
value of traditional journal brands is, to some extent, eroding.

The future of academic publishing, and I do believe it has a future,
is in the services it can provide on both ends of the transaction --
to authors and to readers.  It is not clear to me that the traditional
publishers of scholarship, especially those most tied to large-scale
commercial transactions, will be best placed to provide the services
that will support publishing in the digital age.  But whoever does
fill those roles -- and the services are likely to become
disaggregated -- they will achieve their importance by listening to
what authors and readers really want, not by bandying about analogies.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC  27708