From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2014 23:24:17 -0400
From: Sally Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:04:38 +0100

I'd like to add my condolences on Fred's passing.  He was a doughty champion
of libraries' interests long before he took up the cause of Open Access.
For instance, he was a prime mover (with Jan Velterop) in creating the
original 'Big Deal' with key publishers.

I worked with him on numerous issues, trying to understand and accommodate
the interests of both libraries and publishers in attempting to serve
scholars.  While we often disagreed, sometimes quite vigorously, Fred was
always courteous and constructive and the discussions were both stimulating
and enlightening.  He will be much missed.

Sally
Email:  [log in to unmask]