From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2017 22:26:12 -0500
From: "C.H.J. Hartgerink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 03:32:12 -0500

One thing SciHub does thoroughly is provide public access to the
public domain. Making sure that all the works that are in the public
domain are accessible would be an alternative to what you call "Open
Access Piracy". IF we could identify what works are in the public
domain (copyright is an outright mess the closer to current day you
get). Note: for these PD works SciHub provides legal access (how they
get the content is another matter).

For example, articles from 1823 in the Lancet are still for sale
(technically legal) but this is clearly public domain so copying far
and wide is permitted (note the asserted copyright: this is illegal on
pub's end). Another example is those works by US federal gov
employees, which are uncopyrightable under 17 U.S. Code ยง 105. If
SciHub provides access to these even though original paywalled,
perfectly legal. It does highlight we as a scholarly system are
failing in ensuring the PD is as encompassing as it can be.

I am working on this with my pet project Liberate Science, so please
let me know if you are interested in ensuring public access to the
public domain. Libraries can play a major role in this (I spoke at
LIBER2016 about this  and the European librarians seemed responsive to
this idea as well).

Kind regards,
Chris Hartgerink