From:
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2016 13:27:30 -0400
From: Ivy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 03:49:10 +0000

Michael,

I apologize for being flip in my comment that everyone is happy - I
should probably not have spoken quite so lightly.  But my institution
would certainly not cancel subscriptions in light of SciHub, and yet
SciHub is clearly filling a need (for some - we shouldn't canonize it
either, given that it seems to account for only 1-2% of worldwide
traffic).

When I said 'convenience trumps all,' I was speaking from the point of
view of a user accustomed to barrier-free access to information on the
net.  Both evidence and logic tell us that this is so.  Library users
check out books less and less these days because "everything is on the
internet."  Students and scholars use library catalogs less and less
because Google and Google Scholar are much more convenient.  Kalev
Leetaru's post is the kind of sobering perspective I was reflecting.

Of course the value and relevance of the scholarship itself is the
core value.  Information wants to be free, but information also wants
to be expensive (the less remembered half of Stewart Brand's quote,
which should be required reading*).  The point is that if the *route*
to that content less is convenient for the end user than some other
route, that other route is going to be taken.  Path of least
resistance, etc.

To the extent that the convenience of SciHub and its ilk threaten the
financial viability of publishers - and I am of course sympathetic to
this argument, particularly in the case of university presses and
other struggling non-profits - this is yet another argument for
revisiting business models.  Or as Collette Mak has just shared with
us so eloquently, quoting Patry, "no law is going to save the business
model of a company that refuses to give the customers what they want."
  That, it seems to me, is the problem we need to solve.

Let's solve it together.

Ivy

* http://www.rogerclarke.com/II/IWtbF.html

"Information Wants To Be Free. Information also wants to be expensive.
Information wants to be free because it has become so cheap to
distribute, copy, and recombine---too cheap to meter. It wants to be
expensive because it can be immeasurably valuable to the recipient.
That tension will not go away. It leads to endless wrenching debate
about price, copyright, 'intellectual property', the moral rightness
of casual distribution, because each round of new devices makes the
tension worse, not better."