From:
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 22:13:46 -0400
From: Joan Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:40:51 -0400

Subject: Re: E-resources usage statistics: up, down, or steady?

There is a great deal of research being done by the assessment
community in the United States, the
UK, and Australia (probably other countries as well that I'm not
familiar with) on the value of
e-resources, particularly e-journals at this stage but the research on
the value of e-books is beginning.
There has been a thin stream of such research for a few decades, much
of it done by Carol Tenopir and
Don King, but research activity has moved into high gear on this topic
over the past three or four years
for a variety of reasons, including the Value of Academic Libraries
Report commissioned by ACRL and
researched & written by Megan Oakleaf and the IMLS grant received by
several institutions to study
library value, including the value of e-resources.  The research in UK
and Australian has been driven
by their own national reasons.  I'd recommend taking a look at the
website for the IMLS-funded project:

http://libvalue.cci.utk.edu/biblio

which has an extensive bibliographic database of articles on a variety
of aspects of library value, including
e-resoures.  JISC in the UK has also funded research in this area.

In general, the research is less about the number of uses and more
about the impact of the usage on the
user.  Do e-resources make faculty, for example, more efficient
researchers & teachers?  Do they save them
time (that can then be directed towards other aspects of their
responsibilities as researchers and teachers?),
etc.  Impact, especially when/if it aligns with institutional goals
and priorities, is a more significant measure
than number of uses.   A relatively new study reports also on the
number of e-articles researchers read on
average per year, along with other elements related to the value of
e-journals - the title is "Scholarly Reading
and the Value of Library Resources: A Survey".  Information and links
to presentations and publications
about the study can be found here:

http://libvalue.cci.utk.edu/JISC

Research in this area from public libraries and special libraries goes
back further than that for academic
libraries and is not difficult to unearth via Google.

Regards,

Joan

Joan Stein
Head, Access Services