From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:44:12 -0500
From: Wilhelmina Randtke <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:48:54 -0600

It is just an angry letter.  Just because it asks for money as well as
action doesn't change it into a suit, or more importantly a debt.  No
collections agency would take this and act on it.

Ordinarily, I would say, we all should be a little worried when
someone gets threatened for being honest about publishers.  Day-to-day
you run risks, and may even bet your house against your actions
without realizing it.  I don't mean that someone can sue you and win
the value of your house.  I mean that someone can sue you and you can
then spend the value of your house on lawyers.

What I see on this list has me more worried that the vast majority of
people in the library community can't tell when a threat (bluff?)
turns into legal action.  So, I'm more worried about chilling effects
from the community against people employed in the community.  So, for
a poorly informed supervisor or library director to take a dim view of
activities that are perfectly legal, good for the community, and have
minimal risk.  Writing and posting a letter is simple and doesn't
require risk (of paying attorney's fees for frivolous suit), or filing
fees to write.  It's way too easy to do, and if a letter gets a
reaction, then libraries are too easy to manipulate.

Really, is there anyone on this list who thinks Jeff Beall has been
sued at this date?

Several of you reacted to this letter by saying he's been sued.  You are wrong.

-Wilhelmina Randtke