From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2018 08:38:13 -0500
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:03:39 -0700

To my various remarks of the other night, let me add my agreement with
both Adam and Rick.  The competitive advantage of Sci-Hub is its user
interface and its one-stop-shopping.  They *kill* all their
competitors in this regard.  Of course, one part of how they do it is
by flagrant disregard for laws and contracts and, whatever your
politico-legal position, such flagrant disregard does not have a good
history as a sustainable business model.  Their entirely (as far as I
know) legal competitor with the greatest purchase among academics I
know is Google Scholar -- also killing on user interface and one-stop
shopping, though with the consequent difficulty in accessing full text
that arises from respect for law and contract.  But n.b. there is now
at least one free browser extension that takes Google Scholar results
and searches for openly-accessible PDFs without regard for provenance,
just an agnostically blind search for openly-accessible content that
matches the Google Scholar result.  (I've not heard of the extension
getting much uptake yet.)

My point is that the desirability of easy access is immensely powerful
-- powerful enough to give Sci-Hub its opportunity.  If publishers and
libraries were genuinely competitive on this score, Elbakyan would
have her Ph.D. by now.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU