From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:23:11 -0500
From: Charlotte Van Rooyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:28:55 +0100

****** APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING *******

I’m just passing on some news that I believe will be of interest to
readers of liblicense-l.

EDP Sciences have just announced the launch of Liberty APCs – a new
model designed to help match Open Access article publishing charges
(APCs) to an author’s ability to pay.

Through the Liberty APC model, authors are requested to explore all
avenues for funding the publication of their article, such as their
funding agency, institution or company and to select a fee from a
range of options based on their circumstances and how much they can
afford to pay - including an amount of €0 in 2016, but the final
decision rests with the author.

It is seen to be a useful model for journals at launch stage and for
the first years of publication. It provides a gauge of a journal’s
value before it is indexed, and allows all authors who have a
requirement to publish Open Access to do so regardless of funding.
Importantly, the peer-review process remains completely independent,

For more information see the full press release below and also at this
link: http://bit.ly/1SrY2FJ

Please do not hesitate to contact me or Nathalie Matelot
([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions.

Warm regards
Charlotte

Charlotte Van Rooyen
Senior Manager Client Services (Europe)
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.tbicommunications.com

*******

EDP Sciences reinforces its support of Open Access publishing with the
launch of Liberty APCs

12 February 2016, Paris, France. EDP Sciences have today announced the
launch of Liberty APCs – a new model where the author chooses their
own fair price to publish an article in Open Access (OA).

The Liberty APCs model means that authors can choose from a number of
options, the level of article processing charge (APC) they will pay to
publish their article - including an amount of 0€ in 2016. It is
expected that they will investigate all options for funding, for
example from their funding body, their institution or their
organization, but ultimately it will be their decision how much they
feel is a fair price to pay.

Jean-Marc Quilbé, President of EDP Sciences said,  “at EDP sciences we
have a commitment to Open Access and a history of working closely with
the research community. With Liberty APCs, we want to learn whether
authors are willing to be involved in the development of Open Access
publishing and whether cost is an obstacle. We also aim, through this
model, to give more opportunities for publishing in Open Access as we
know not all authors have access to the same levels of funding.”

Liberty APCs is a useful model for journals at launch stage and for
the first years of publication. It provides a useful gauge of a
journal’s value before it is indexed, as all authors who have a
requirement to publishing Open Access can publish in a journal
relevant to their research regardless of access to funding.

 “With Liberty APCs, we want to assess what level of article
processing charge authors can or are able to pay,” J-M Quilbé
continued, “additionally we hope to make researchers more aware of the
funding opportunities that are open to them, as well as the different
licensing requirements and policies.”

Agnès Henri, Editorial Director of EDP Sciences added, “it is
important to stress that the amount of Liberty APC paid will not be
reflected in any way on the publication process. The Editors-in-chief
will have absolutely no access to payment information, therefore all
articles published under this model will undergo the same rigorous,
independent peer review and publication process as all our journals,
and there will be no compromise on quality.”

As well as fully open access journals, EDP Open provides free and open
access to more than 80,000 scientific articles from across all EDP
Sciences’ journals and also hundreds of conference proceedings.

ENDS
-------------

About EDP Sciences and EDP Open
EDP Sciences (http://publications.edpsciences.org) is a not-for-profit
publisher, established in 1920, belonging to learned societies with a
mission to participate in the dissemination of important research that
accelerates scientific progress and cross-fertilisation of ideas of
the society in general. EDP Open (http://www.edp-open.org) is the Open
Access arm of EDP Sciences. EDP Sciences is located in Paris and
London and publishes over 70 scientific journals in the physical
sciences, mathematics, engineering, health, life and environmental
sciences. It also publishes conference proceedings
(www.webofconferences.org) and books.

For more information about this release, please contact:

Nathalie Matelot, Marketing Manager EDP Sciences