From:
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2012 22:41:25 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 01:28:08 -0700

I really can't agree with Fred about most of this.  For one, the idea
that the work of peer review is somehow free because many of the
reviewers are unpaid displays not only profound ignorance of how peer
review systems are managed but, worse, a complete lack of curiosity.
But if Fred or any one else wants to place articles in a repository
somewhere, why, go right ahead.  I don't know what problem that is
supposed to solve, but no one should get in the way of a man with a
fixed idea.

But in the end, the fact that so-called Green OA has no meaningful
economic model is irrelevant.  That which is not sustainable cannot
and will not be sustained.  It will simply go away.  If the articles
deposited in repositories cannibalize the publishers' versions (where
such exist), then over time the published versions will go away.  If
"pure" repository publishing is what we have left, then it will
attempt to justify its costs, which will surprise many with how large
and unexpected they are.  Even OA repositories with enormous community
support such as arXiv run into the problem that from time to time
significant investments have to be made in platforms.  Volunteer labor
does many things truly well (think of Wikipedia), but a full
publishing service of the kind contemplated here may be a steep climb.

The notion that research publishing--alone among all things in the
world--can somehow sit outside the economy is a strange idea,
something that will be studied by anthropologists years from now as a
characteristic myth of our era.

What will happen, what is happening already, is that investment in
publishing will shift to new areas, especially those that are most
resistant to copying and that continue to provide a return on capital.
 It can be no other way:  this is the way the world works.

None of this is happy news for the commercial publishers that have
looked to libraries for huge sums of money; I am not arguing for their
position.  They will have to invest heavily in new businesses instead
of harvesting past investments.

Joe Esposito