From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 19:39:33 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 21:55:55 -0400

> From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 03:49:55 +0000
>
>> For some reason it seems to be singularly difficult for some librarians
>> to grasp the difference between whether the articles in a journal are
>> all or mostly Green OA (which is not what we are discussing) and
>> whether the publisher does not embargo Green OA (which does not imply
>> that all or most of its articles are Green OA).
>
> Stevan, I think you've missed the fact that this conversation has moved on
> from the latter and is now concerned with the former. We're now talking
> about how libraries might react not just to the lack of an embargo, but to
> the actual availability of Green articles from subscription journals.
>
> Speaking for myself, when I talked about using SHERPA/RoMEO it was not
> about using that service as a "basis for journal cancellation" directly,
> but using it to identify journals that might be cancellable, assuming that
> enough of their content is, in fact, freely available.

Let's worry about crossing that bridge when it's within sight. It isn't.

But what you can be pretty sure of is that when a high enough percentage
of Green becomes available to allow cancellation, it will not be from one or a
few journals, but from all of them. So the Green will not be a basis for
deciding to cancel this one rather than that one.

SH